Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Apparently Super Bowl Advertisements are a Big Deal


By Andrew
Reactions to Super Bowl ads were mixed in the Vertical office. A few people thought the Doritos Advertisements were brilliant, others felt they were awful. A few of us, (myself included) fell for the Grand Theft Auto and Happiness Factory Coca Cola ads.

Swholly fitting, given the vital role Tostitos played in the civil rights movement." Zing.

I felt the "Beware of Robert Goulet, for he will mess with your stuff once you fall asleep" ad was quite funny, but had no idea which particular brand of nuts it was advertising. In case you had the same question, the answer is Emerald Nuts. Somehow I'm not entirely sure that a 2.6 million dollar spot which leaves the audience guessing as to who paid for it can be labeled a success.

The salesgenie.com ad was unquestionably the worst advertisement of the night. It was not clever, it was not effective and it made me hate the protagonist. Are they serious, they really want me to believe that using salesgenie.com will let me drive a Ferrari and go out with the cute blond office girl? I feel vindicated that viewers on iFilm have given it the lowest rating possible.

Finally, pundit of the people John Stewart played his Super Bowl ad on last night's show. Money well spent.

No comments: